Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Friends

There are so many different kinds of friends. Friends you have had since elementary school like these girls. Who have seen you through puberty, high school graduations, college, etc. And then friends you meet in college and instantly bond with and that bond stays strong long after you have left Blacksburg and Virginia Tech.
Both sets of friends are special and unique and unfortunately most live far away from us. We try and get together when we can, for weddings, baby showers, new babies and girls weekends.

And then there are friends that you meet just by chance. You just happen to all live in the same neighborhood, have kids around the same age and even though we have only known each other for a much shorter amount of time than my other friends, they still become like your family away from your family. This group of friends did a really cool for me for my 30th birthday. When we returned from Puerto Rico, we arrived to this sign!
And I laughed and thought it ended there but no, not these girls, they took it to a whole new level! They decorated the entire house with black streamers and balloons.
From the banister and fireplace and really any open space. They placed 30 mints all over the house, in cabinets, drawers, on top of picture frames, you name it, there is probably a mint there.
And they even put these quotes all over the house to make me feel oh so much better about being thirty. My favorite one is "Thirty is the new twenty, unless you are twenty and then it's the new forty." They even thought I needed to add a new beverage to my diet since I am older now.
And finally, a little "bling" to complete my birthday!
And I had the perfect place to wear that bling to on Saturday night when Mike organized a small get together at a wine bar for my birthday with some of our closest friends in Charlotte. Most of the group is below.
It turned out to be such a fun night with everyone gathering without kids which is rare for all of us. Just hang out, drink some great wine and toast to our 20's.
And if you are really lucky, some of your best college friends will even move close to you in Charlotte so you can see them more often. The Virginia Tech crew below.
And let's just say, I think for a fleeting moment we all thought we were back in college and could party like it was 1999 again. Tracey even thought it would be a good idea to have some Irish Car Bomb drinks and I think this is where the night took a turn for the worst!
We quickly learned that we are a little bit older now and don't party like we used to but you know, I happen to love where I am in my life right now. A lot less nights downtown and partying but more time spent with our little munchkin and fires out back with our neighbors and Charlotte family. So, I successfully gave my twenties a proper send off and now I can't wait to see what this next decade has in store. Cheers!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...