Sunday, August 19, 2012

3 Years Old

I can't really wrap my head around it. How is my little baby, my sweet tiny tiny baby already 3 years old?? In my head, I still picture her as this little baby that was fashionably late.
I still picture her as this one year old, just learning to walk. The one who smashed her entire cake into face at her first birthday.
I still picture her as this sweet, curious two year old. Boy, I didn't realize what a big year two was and how much you would grow doing this year.
But, no matter how I picture you as a small baby or small toddler, there is no denying that you aren't small anymore. No, you are definitely my big girl and how proud are you that you are finally 3!!
Having an August birthday can be tough. We have been to all of your school friends and neighborhood friends birthday parties and after each one, you would ask me, "when is my birthday Mommy?" So, Daddy taught you that your birthday was August 13th and you would tell everyone proudly that you were turning 3 on August 13th with three fingers in the air.
And the day finally arrived, August 13th and you, my little big girl were lucky enough to spend your special day at our special place, Seabrook. What better place to spend the day than playing on the beach all morning, followed by an afternoon at the pool only to have an encore of chocolate cupcakes with 3 pink candles of course! And to be honest, it really wasn't just a single day celebration, we celebrated you and being three pretty much all week long.
I really can't believe how much you have grown over the past year. Just last night, we were looking back at pictures of you on your second birthday and when you started your first day of preschool last fall and you were still a small toddler and had a lot of baby still left in you. But now you are such a little person and you are nothing short of personality.

Two was a big, huge year for you. You started preschool just after you turned two and what a great experience that was for you. You learned it was not only ok to be away from Mommy but that you actually had fun and you had amazing teachers and met some fun new friends. You became independent with school and the teachers taught you how to communicate and share with your friends and also do many things on your own.

At two, you also became potty trained, hooray. You were actually the first in your class to become potty trained in your class and then your other friends wanted to follow your lead. And being a leader is something we learned from your teachers is something that you really enjoy.

At two, the biggest change to your life is you became a big sister. And while there have been a few moments of jealously, overall you have embraced this new phase so unbelievable. Your Dad and I are so proud of how much you love your little sister from the first moment you met her. And she just adores you and wants to look and laugh at you all day long. One of my greatest hopes in life is that you two will always share a close bond like you do now.
At two, your mind and vocabulary has just expanded more than I could have ever imagined. You have a memory like an elephant. You will remember someone you met 6 months ago or can precisely tell me the last time you wore a certain dress and what we did that day and what you had for lunch. You ask "why?" a hundred times a day. You want to know anything and everything all the time. Daddy and I have to be very careful about what we talk about and need to start talking in code because you are definitely on to us! I just love to see your mind work and your imagination go wild these days. At the beach, your favorite game was getting all of Papa's CDs and playing "store" with them. And luckily for Papa, all the CDs at your store were $4 so he could afford them.

Of course, two also meant tantrums and boy did you have your fair share of them (and continue to I might add) but I know a lot of that comes with the territory and usually about 5 minutes after having a tantrum, you are laughing again. Remember, Mommy told you were three now, so you can end the terrible two tantrums!! You definitely challenge your Daddy and I each day but when we look up at that sweet face and big blue eyes, we can't help but smile.

I can't wait to see what the next year has in store for you and us and can't wait to see you to continue to grow and learn. You are so loved little (big) girl and I hope you always know that. Happy 3 years old to our Ella James! (now, stop growing up so fast)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...