Thursday, May 23, 2013

The best week

May is coming to a close and June is quickly approaching but before summer officially begins, I want to post about a great week I had. I have to admit, before becoming a Mom, I thought Mother's Day was a little over advertised by the card, flower and jewelry companies. I probably didn't give my own Mom enough love and pampering before (sorry Mom.) But since becoming a Mom, I adore this weekend. It is one I look forward to all year and Mike and the girls never disappoint.

It started mid week with a special muffins with moms at Ella's preschool. Mike gladly came from work to watch Maddie so I could focus on my oldest. Having one on one time with her is rare these days so I cherished every minute.
 They made us an invitation 2 weeks ahead of time inviting us to their class and everyday Ella asked if today was muffins with moms? Finally, after waiting and picking out her outfit 2 days in advance (it had to be a fancy dress!), it was time. She couldn't wait to show me around her class and what she does each morning as she arrives. After they welcomed the moms by singing us a special song, we sat at the table and enjoyed the muffins and fruit. They gave us special pins they had made with their picture on them and bulbs to plant as well.
 After eating, it was free time to do whatever we wanted. We read some books in the book nook, did some magnet letters and then finished up with some painting. She was showing me how she could paint a "S". When it was time for the moms to leave and the kids to stay, some got very sad and Ella got sad for a second but was fine. She adores school so much which makes this mama so happy. It was a great morning.
 That weekend was a gorgeous weekend and the first one in awhile where we could spend the entire weekend outside and not cooped up inside because of the rain.
 These two played on the swing set all morning long. Maddie LOVED playing in the top fort and Ella loved having a little playmate around her. Mike and I said to each other a dozen times that weekend how great it will be in a year or so when they can go outside and just play together without needing constant supervision like Maddie Grace does right now.
Peek a boo, where's Maddie Grace?
 We also planted an herb and vegetable garden that weekend. After completing the swing set, Mike was inspired to keep building so he built me this garden and we went to the nursery and bought lots of vegetables (3 different kinds of tomatoes, 2 different kinds of peppers, eggplant, cucumber, romaine lettuce, watermelon, basil, cilantro and mint.) He also got this water catcher to capture our rain water and that is what we water the garden with. He is turning so green in his old age. So far, we have a few peppers and tomatoes, we will see if we grow anything else.

 Mother's Day morning, I awoke to an amazing home cooked breakfast by Mike and Ella. Complete with waffles topped with nutella, strawberries and raspberries. It was delicious! After getting ready and playing a little outside, we went to the greenway in Charlotte.

Like I said, the weather was just perfect and we walked around for awhile before having a lunch at a nearby restaurant. When we got home, both girls took long naps and we enjoyed the quiet on the screened in porch. I think the quiet may have been the best gift of the weekend!
 Later that night, after more gifts (I told you they spoiled me rotten) and dinner, we had another great dessert made by Mike. Crepes filled with nutella (can you tell we love nutella?), and more fruit, whipped cream and powered sugar. It was definitely not low fat but oh so good!
 Being the Mom to these two munchkins is the absolute best and I am so grateful for them and their Daddy each and everyday.
And a special belated Mother's Day shoot out to my Mom (DeeDee) who was and still is my biggest fan and supporter in everything I do and such an amazing grandmother to my girls. Happy Mother's Day to  Mike's Mom (Grandma) who raised three incredible children and is adored by her 6 grandchildren and all of our grandmothers, Grammy, Grandma Ange, Bama and Grandma. We are so blessed to have you all in our lives and hope the day was special for each of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...